On Shareholder Rights
We endeavor to vote:
- Against proposals that limit shareholders rights to call special meetings because matters may arise between annual meetings.
- Against proposals that seek to institute supermajority voting provisions in a company’s by-laws.
- For cumulative stockholder voting for directors since this would enhance the ability of workers, communities, environmental groups and others to influence board membership.
- For confidential voting to prevent management from identifying dissenting shareholders.
- For proposals to allow shareholders space in proxy statements to state their views on contested issues and for proposals to allow shareholders to nominate Director candidates as long as nominators own a substantial amount of stock and the nomination is not a frivolous one.
- For most requests for more information or more study of potentially harmful product sales or production methods if we believe the information can be provided without unreasonable expense.